#1 sikarkades

sikarkades

Enthusiast

• Charter Member
  • 137 posts

• Flag: United States of America

• Favorite Pinball: Champion Pub

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

I purchased a 10.2" rear view camera monitor for an suv/car (4.25" tall and 11" wide) and put a 12v power supply on it and am using it as a dmd for Pinmame. The monitor cost 99.00 shipped, the cable and power supply were about $30. I can actually say it works perfect and looks awesome. If anyone has any questions or comments let me know. I may have a few for you guys as well. The script for each table has to be slightly edited for the images to display in the correct position every time, but it is well worth it. I will be installing it into my mame cabinet with pinball controls and plunger. I may have to buy another monitor to keep one on my normal computer. Ha! Enjoy.

Attached Files

#2 RYSr

RYSr

Pinball Fan

• Charter Member
  • 510 posts

• Favorite Pinball: TZ - G&R - MB - CV - Metallica

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (sikarkades @ Mar 7 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I purchased a 10.2" rear view camera monitor for an suv/car (4.25" tall and 11" wide) and put a 12v power supply on it and am using it as a dmd for Pinmame. The monitor cost 99.00 shipped, the cable and power supply were about $30. I can actually say it works perfect and looks awesome. If anyone has any questions or comments let me know. I may have a few for you guys as well. The script for each table has to be slightly edited for the images to display in the correct position every time, but it is well worth it. I will be installing it into my mame cabinet with pinball controls and plunger. I may have to buy another monitor to keep one on my normal computer. Ha! Enjoy.

That's just to cool! cool.gif

Rich

#3 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• Favorite Pinball: Twilight Zone

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

Could you tell us more about the monitor and the cables. Like a link to a manufacturer website / where you purchased it from.

Thank you

#4 sikarkades

sikarkades

Enthusiast

• Charter Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:25 PM

I purchased it off of ebay, it comes with a one year factory warranty, I made an offer for 99.00 shipped and they accepted. It came from china and is made by Eonon. Here is a link. http://cgi.ebay.com/...p3286.m20.l1116 . If the link doesn't work search 10.2 lcd or eonon lcd on ebay and it will come up. I was rather skeptical at first coming from china, but hell most tv's are made somewhere over there. It arrived in about 5 days. The auction I bought it from had it opened up to show the board and it was made by hitatchi which isnt bad in my opinion and for 100 bones I thought why not. You need a 12v 1000ma power supply from radio shack or ebay and an adaptaplug to solder to the wires for a nice connection. It has two rca inputs, so you may need an s-video to rca or some type of adapter cable or plug if it is needed. I am running it at 640 X 480 resolution and the pinmame display images are incredible. Any other questions just ask, and I will be glad to help out. If anyone wants any pictures of anything dont be afraid to ask.

#5 Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman

Pinball Wizard

• VIP
  • 3,075 posts

• Flag: ---------

• Favorite Pinball: Medieval Madness / Champion Pub

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

Looks very nice indeed!

'Flying Dutchman'

In need for a Backglass or 'Active Backglass / UVP' please 'click' on below and visit the complete revised website at:
Posted Image

#6 Magius

Magius

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Favorite Pinball: Star Trek TNG

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (sikarkades @ Mar 7 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is so very cool, it's a very exciting discovery. I am a little confused though. How are you getting the DMD to display on this other monitor? You said that the monitor has 2 RCA inputs. So are you doing a dual monitor display on your computer and then converting the VGA/DVI out of your video card to RCA composite video to feed the monitor?? I would think that kinda conversion would look terrible, but from your pictures it looks great. Jeez I'm really curious how you are getting the images on that display. Anything you could tell me would be helpful as I am in the pre-planing stages of building my own cab. I am also assuming that you are simply moving the DMD position over to your secondary monitor, but when I try to do that on my computer the table becomes unresponsive and slow. Can you post a step by step procedure of how you are setting this little LCD up? Thanks again for letting us all know about this great idea of yours. cool.gif

#7 Alexx9811

Alexx9811

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Favorite Pinball: Funhouse

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

Wow, this looks very cool!

It makes me curious about how it would be integrated into a cab. If one wanted to run a backglass on a second monitor and have a DMD like this, would it be possible?

Right now I don't have room for a cab, but this display might be a fun addition until I move into a bigger place.

Great find!

#8 sikarkades

sikarkades

Enthusiast

• Charter Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

I am not entirely sure, I believe it can be done with the correct video card, the table and backglass monitor would have to be ran as a spanned display between the two monitors with this monitor ran as the "dualview" display if that makes sense to you. For some odd reason, pinmame will not display full screen without messing up the gameplay, I wish it were that simple. I have edited 250 tables now to work with my dmd. I am planning on having this just below my main monitor on my mame cab and wanted to experiment with this before building a virtual pin. I would love to hear other people's input on my DMD idea and whether they believe it can be done with the table backglass and seperate dmd. I will check into video cards and respond within a few days to let you know. Everyone is in love with the display who has played thus far. Thanks for the interest.

#9 sikarkades

sikarkades

Enthusiast

• Charter Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

A local friend of mine has a tutorial on how to display the image in the correct position along with the proper sizing, it is located at http://ralphwiggum.i...c...ll&Itemid=1 the info is around the middle under setting up the dmd. Also has great info on how he built his machine. I will have more time to get in depth this weekend, but here is a quickie. In the beginning stages I ran into the same prob as you with the speed. I set pinmame to display the dmd double size for every table which helped in the speed department, and changed some of my video card settings, i had to turn down the image settings to quality instead of high quality and that is where I gained the most . Everything was back to normal. You are correct in that I am using an s-video to rca adapter cable that was around $30 and I figured it would look bad as well. But it does not, it is crystal clear and has no pixelation issues or anything to speak of. I can take some video if you would like to see that I am not having any lag issues. I have even figured out how to display just the score on the monitor for the games that do not have it. I will have more updates soon and will help out as much as possible.

#10 Magius

Magius

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (sikarkades @ Mar 17 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A local friend of mine has a tutorial on how to display the image in the correct position along with the proper sizing, it is located at http://ralphwiggum.i...c...ll&Itemid=1 the info is around the middle under setting up the dmd. Also has great info on how he built his machine. I will have more time to get in depth this weekend, but here is a quickie. In the beginning stages I ran into the same prob as you with the speed. I set pinmame to display the dmd double size for every table which helped in the speed department, and changed some of my video card settings, i had to turn down the image settings to quality instead of high quality and that is where I gained the most . Everything was back to normal. You are correct in that I am using an s-video to rca adapter cable that was around $30 and I figured it would look bad as well. But it does not, it is crystal clear and has no pixelation issues or anything to speak of. I can take some video if you would like to see that I am not having any lag issues. I have even figured out how to display just the score on the monitor for the games that do not have it. I will have more updates soon and will help out as much as possible.

Wow this link you provided is very informative, thank-you. Yeah now that I think of it I totally forgot that there are video cards out there that have S-video and even RCA Composite video out. That would make it easy to work with your small LCD. I don't think I've ever seen a vid card with dual monitor out and an S-video or RCA out though. Now if only there was a way to have the playfield on one monitor, the backglass art on another monitor and the DMD on the small LCD. Jeez would you need a triple output video card for that???

Thanks again for the info sikarkades!!

#11 Borderline

Borderline

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Favorite Pinball: Adam Family

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

I have an ATI 1950 that has a s-video out port .. also has duel DVI's

http://www.sapphiret...r...d=168&grp=3

I can see if i can get 3 monitors working ? i doubt it but will give it a go

DVI 1 - Monitor 1 (playfield)
DVI 2 - Backglass
Svideo - TV (or in your case the small LCD )

Is that what you are trying to achive ? .. could you just use a cheap video card just for the DMD and use Ultramon -> http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/ to control it ? just and idea

QUOTE (Magius @ Mar 18 2009, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow this link you provided is very informative, thank-you. Yeah now that I think of it I totally forgot that there are video cards out there that have S-video and even RCA Composite video out. That would make it easy to work with your small LCD. I don't think I've ever seen a vid card with dual monitor out and an S-video or RCA out though. Now if only there was a way to have the playfield on one monitor, the backglass art on another monitor and the DMD on the small LCD. Jeez would you need a triple output video card for that???

Thanks again for the info sikarkades!!

#12 Magius

Magius

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Borderline @ Mar 17 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have an ATI 1950 that has a s-video out port .. also has duel DVI's

http://www.sapphiret...r...d=168&grp=3

I can see if i can get 3 monitors working ? i doubt it but will give it a go

DVI 1 - Monitor 1 (playfield)
DVI 2 - Backglass
Svideo - TV (or in your case the small LCD )

Is that what you are trying to achive ? .. could you just use a cheap video card just for the DMD and use Ultramon -> http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/ to control it ? just and idea

Wow I was not familiar with Ultramon! It sure looks like you could do something like this with it. I will have to test it out when I get my hands on a third monitor.

#13 sikarkades

sikarkades

Enthusiast

• Charter Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:46 PM

It is entirely possible! I have not found a 3 output video card, but you can run two video cards, (NOT IN SLI MODE!), to display on up to four monitors. I did it at work on my engineering computer using the standard nvidia drivers and tools, run one in vertical span, with two monitors hooked up as one display and the other in dual view. In VP theory, the artwork would be the upper half and the table the lower half (All in one piece), with the two monitors being the seperating point and the dmd would be positioned on the other monitor. I didnt run vp since I do not have it at work, but i was successfully displaying different things on three monitors as well as one spanned over two monitors with this setup. The ultramon software does not look to have any additional features when compared with the standard nvidia tools, but if youre using a ati card, I guess you arent able to use nvidia tools so it might be feasible with the ultramon software. Was the tutorial enough to suffice for now? It is the same principle, just with the correct sized monitor. I will be able to help out with displaying the pinmame images for games that do not naturally come with them or are in a fixed position on the backglass, ie..Class of 1812, badcats.

Until next time

Here is a quick picture of my mame project as well, almost complete. Will be hooking up the cables to bring the frankenmachine to life pretty soon. J/k Ha

A few more

Attached Files

#14 Magius

Magius

Neophyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (sikarkades @ Mar 18 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is entirely possible! I have not found a 3 output video card, but you can run two video cards, (NOT IN SLI MODE!), to display on up to four monitors. I did it at work on my engineering computer using the standard nvidia drivers and tools, run one in vertical span, with two monitors hooked up as one display and the other in dual view. In VP theory, the artwork would be the upper half and the table the lower half (All in one piece), with the two monitors being the seperating point and the dmd would be positioned on the other monitor. I didnt run vp since I do not have it at work, but i was successfully displaying different things on three monitors as well as one spanned over two monitors with this setup. The ultramon software does not look to have any additional features when compared with the standard nvidia tools, but if youre using a ati card, I guess you arent able to use nvidia tools so it might be feasible with the ultramon software. Was the tutorial enough to suffice for now? It is the same principle, just with the correct sized monitor. I will be able to help out with displaying the pinmame images for games that do not naturally come with them or are in a fixed position on the backglass, ie..Class of 1812, badcats.

Until next time

Here is a quick picture of my mame project as well, almost complete. Will be hooking up the cables to bring the frankenmachine to life pretty soon. J/k Ha

A few more

Yeah sikarkades you are right I am using an ATI card so Ultramon is my best chance. I gotta wait until I can get a third monitor to try all this out, but I totally understand what your talking about. Thank you for all your help and I'll let ya know how it works out. Thanks again.

#15 Ze-BOB

Ze-BOB

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 48 posts

• Flag: France

• Favorite Pinball: Theatre of Magic, South Park

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:56 PM

Is it possible to use this monitor to make the display ?
http://cgi.ebay.fr/C...=item3efa9218f2

Sorry for my poor English.

#16 sikarkades

sikarkades

Enthusiast

• Charter Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

Yes, that one should work fine. If you have questions feel free to ask.

#17 pinball buzz

pinball buzz

Pinball Fan

• VIP
  • 823 posts

• Flag: United Kingdom

• Favorite Pinball: TOM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

Really interested in the 3 monitor option - at the moment using a geforce setup with dual display.
Nice thread,
Cheers Pinball Buzz
Pinball Buzz - Builder of pinball cabs since May 2008.

See my cab pictures here

http://www.flickr.co...s/94649948@N00/
[/size][/size]

#18 Ze-BOB

Ze-BOB

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (sikarkades @ Nov 28 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, that one should work fine. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Thank you, i will buy one to try.

#19 Ze-BOB

Ze-BOB

Hobbyist

• Silver Supporter
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

I received my monitor this morning, it have two videos input, V1 abd V2, my video card goes on 3 RGB composite video RCA, i don't understand how i can plug this monitor to my card.

I've got a NVidia 9600GT:
http://www.nvidia.co..._9600gt_us.html

I need help.

Thank you.

#20 sikarkades

sikarkades

Enthusiast

• Charter Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hey,
I needed to buy an s-video to rca conversion cable, it was around $15-20, thats how I managed to hook it up with my card.